Friday, November 25, 2016

ALL THE VERSES of The Grand Old Duke Of York

I remember trying to find these lyrics online when my 3yo was a baby. I remembered my mom singing it to me when I was young and I knew it had more words than that first verse,  but everywhere I looked I could only find the first verse! Then my mom gave me a beautiful scrapbook on my daughter's first birthday, with all the verses of The Grand Old Duke of York. She had found a note that my Aunt had written in my baby book that included the whole song. So I figured it deserved to exist on the internet somewhere.  So here it is!



The Grand Old Duke of York
He had ten thousand men,
He marched them up to the top of the hill
And he marched them down again
And when they were up they were up
And when they were down they were down
And when they were only halfway up
They were neither up nor down

The Grand Old Duke of York
Then had five hundred men
He marched them in and out of the woods
And he marched them in again
And some turned to the left
And some turned to the right
And some marched all about the woods
'Till day turned into night

The Grand Old Duke of York
His men were half asleep
He marched them through a river but
The river was too deep
And some of them did sink
And some of them did swim
And some did soundly shake his hand
And bid farewell to him

The Grand Old Duke of York
Had only twenty men
Fifteen marching through a farm
Were chased off by a hen
And two were lost in a barn
And two were lost in a sty
And the only soldier that was left
Ran off and waved good-bye!

The Grand Old Duke of York
He found himself alone
He sat right down on top of a drum
And there did weep and moan
And first he shed his sword
And then he shed his gun
And then he wished that all his travels
Never had begun

The Grand Old Duke of York
He heard a bugle sound
As he buckled on his sword and gun
His heart began to pound
He saw them in rows of five
He saw them in rows of ten
And they all lined up in front of him
'Till he had ten thousand men


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 80's I read this rhyme in a book. Been looking for it ever since...thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete